a thousand miles behind

Friday, December 09, 2005

swamp violence

I am supposed to meet this woman whose last name is "Myrvold" today at a Peace Celebration at a local elementary school. Hanne and I are representing Redd Barna (Save the Children) at this event and this "Myrvold" lady is our contact person. Although the Peace event should be both fun and strange (as most things in Tromso are), I think the woman's last name is even stranger. "Myr" means "bog," or - as I prefer - "swamp." And "vold" means "violence."
(I choose to disregard the fact that "vold" also has another meaning, having to do with part of a farm, or something boring like that.) It is much more intriguing to think that this woman's last name means "swamp violence." It conjures up all kinds of images and stories in my head.

It's so nice to meet you, Ms. Swampviolence. What a lovely dress you have on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home