a thousand miles behind

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

my little Polish vacation



Poland was a good little vacation. Silje, Marjaana, Hanne, Stian, Scott, and I spent about three days in Gdansk and half a day in Sopot, which is like a suburb of Gdansk. I did, indeed, go Gdigital in Gdansk, so I will post the pictures soon. (That way you can see what we did, instead of reading lame-o summaries of it all.) I did not, however, get any pictures at the Solidarity Museum, because I bought my camera the day after we visited it. The museum was my favorite part of the trip, and it was humbling to think about how the events in Gdansk in 1981 were unfolding just before I was born. It demonstrates the power of people...regular, working people.

Hanne and I spent two days in Oslo on our way home from Poland. (Our classmate Berit kindly let us stay at the apartment she shares with her boyfriend, and she took us out on the town on Saturday night.) We met Andre and Hans Olav for lunch on Sunday, did some winter jacket shopping, ate Thai food, and met some of Hanne's friends from Lillehammer and Os. I also started reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany" because it is one of the favorite books of both my dad and my sister. It is great to be reading some fiction for a change.

PS: There was disappointingly little stone-wash denim in Poland. I did see a few leather pant-leather vest get-ups, often coupled with a big ol' mullet. Not to mention a car with a tiger painted on the hood. Grrrrrrrrr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home