a thousand miles behind

Thursday, September 06, 2007

the plan

Assuming my work permit comes through, I will be staying in Norway for a while longer. I got a job working for the organization I have been volunteering for since I moved to Tromsø - Save the Children. This is very exciting because I know the organization well and and have invested quite some time in it, too. My tasks are varied and I will be kept quite busy. I will also get to travel around a bit. A trip back to Murmansk, Russia is scheduled for October....again, assuming I have my work permit by then. But I will be back in MN for most of the month of December and I look forward to that a great deal.

In other news, I will be changing addresses yet again. I will not post the address here, but if you want the new one because you want to send me mix cds or peanutbutter cups or hilarious home-made t-shirts, just send me an email. The place I am moving into is just north of downtown and I will have one roommate (who I have yet to meet). He is apparently a busy, friendly, and laid-back dude. Sounds good to me.

There is snow on the mountains now. The end of August was very cold and it looks like it might stay that way for a while. But I love this time of year. It smells so good outside. I was down in southern Norway last weekend for the Save the Children national meeting in a place called Gjøvik, which is on the biggest lake in Norway (Mjøsa). I thought I had gotten so used to and comfortable with the smell of the sea, but when I got to the edge of the lake I took in a deep breath and thought: Home.
It smelled like home. Freshwater and pine trees. That smell fueled me through the weekend.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Rachel,
    Congrats on the job opportunity in Tromsø! We are happy for you! What fun it was to visit you this summer in Norway! We are always grateful that Scott has you for a friend during the ups and downs of life in Tromsø.

    Pat & David Meyer
    Brookings, South Dakota

     
  • At 1:10 PM , Blogger Scott D. Meyer said...

    word.

    and thanks for the music. enjoying on my travels. see you next tuesday.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home