a thousand miles behind

Saturday, April 01, 2006

the contents of my pocket

Yesterday I found a piece of paper in the pocket of a pair of pants that I hadn't worn since some time in late July. The pants had been through the wash, so the paper was more of a hard wad than anything else. But I was determined to figure out where it was from and what it said. Most of the text had disappeared - in the spin cycle, I'm sure - but that made the forensic work even more exciting. You understand what it is like, maybe. When you know you are on the verge of being reminded of something that you had forgotten about for a number of months or even years. Like re-opening a letter you recieved in 1987, or feeling with your fingertips that a photo has slid behind the piano. Who knows how long it has been there?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home