a thousand miles behind

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

i think i'm gonna puke....or cry

I just had a HORRIBLE experience overhearing the conversation between two American guys and about six Norwegians (all mildly inebriated) sitting at the table next to me at this bar/cafe. These dip-shits epitomize everything I hate about America. They are bigoted, hateful, ignorant, losers who talk and talk and don't ever shut their mouths and are constantly offending people and blabbing on and on about how cool they are and how "awesome" it is to live in America and how their dog smokes weed and how they put their "bitches" in their place and how they hate gangsta-ass n*****s, and "hell yeah, I live like 20 minutes from New York city".....I refuse to write half of it here.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
How can people be so awful?
Sometimes it is really hard for me to find anything redeeming about my own country...and I try and I try, and I think about things that make me proud, and then I run into people like this and I pretend I am Canadian, and then I think about all the wonderful and fantastic Americans I do know and that makes me think that maybe America isn't so bad afterall....I mean every country has self-centered morons, but maybe the worst part about this experience was that the Norwegians were LOVING it...saying every hateful and offensive word they knew in the English language, demeaning the women sitting next to them, laughing their brainless heads off, and - I hope - not fully understanding what they were saying, or at least not realizing why people should NEVER say things like that. It is not just a word. It is not a joke. It is not funny, or cool, or hot to be a bigot...it has contemporary implications, it is based on past and present hatreds that killed innocent people....that devoured, chewed up, and spit freedoms out on the floor.... that labeled, stereotyped, oppressed, segregated, beat, and killed because of ignorance....and if these two "American" guys represent the impression Norwegians and other non-Americans have of America and Americans, so help me God.

Good night.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:10 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Oh R, that makes me want to puke as well. Take care, and don't let it get under your skin. It is just not worth it.
    Love Kelly Nezworski

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Blogger Rachel & Emily said...

    Thanks for your advocacy. I can't decide whether to be happy that you are in Norway, exemplifying a fabulous person (who just so happens to be a U.S. citizen), or sad that it seems that we have so few people who give a sh*t about these issues here in the States. I miss you and love you oodles. I’ll call you soon.
    Em

     
  • At 12:02 AM , Blogger whereonearth said...

    You know R, the amount of people in the world who are like that is ridiculously massive. I hate it, have hated it since I started understanding the implications and sad history laying behind the commentaries of these racist, fascist, IGNORANT a-holes when I was growing up. So don´t despair, you´re not alone!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home