a thousand miles behind

Thursday, January 26, 2006

me no understand

At the encouragement of my friend Rune, I auditioned for a choir last week. Well, "choir" is a bit misleading. It is actually an 8-person a-capella group that sings jazz and pop melodies (as well as heavy metal, when I'm done with 'em). The director said that my voice was a "good match for the group" and I joined them for rehearsal on Tuesday.
What a catastrophe. (Me, I mean...not the group.) This one song we are singing - about a rainy day or something - is one of those jazzy songs where one person sings the melody and the rest of us fumble around on a series of dissonant major and minor mixes adding that "groovy touch" to the melody line. (And by "groovy touch" I mean terrifying counter-melody.) I think I got two notes right...then I just did my own little jazz creation for the rest of the song.
Then we broke out "Every Breath You Take," where Rune did a great Sting and, again, the rest of us dinged and donged and ooh-ed and ah-ed our way through the slightly less-
complicated back up chords. This one has potential. And I need a piano. Bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home