a thousand miles behind

Thursday, June 01, 2006

box kicking

Hanne, the 13 year old girl I tutor in English, is a kick boxer. I learned a lot about kick boxing tonight at our tutoring session. Like you start out as a yellow belt, and then when you get enough points, you move to orange, and then to green level one, and then to green level two. And then you start over at yellow - but it's adult yellow. And then adult orange, and so on and so forth. And she told me some other stuff but I'm not too good with the technical names and terminology and all that. Something about sparring and keeping your wrists facing the right way. It sounded intense.

So today is June 1. It started out kind of cloudy, but it became quite beautiful as the day went along. My goal before the 18th is to convince someone to hike (or maybe ride the fjellheis) up the mountain on the mainland at 11.30 and stay up there for the midnight sun. And then hike back down. Ooooooh, that will be great.

My friend Panama likes to put poems on her "onjo," which has inspired me to do the same. Here is one of my favorites.


Happiness. By Carl Sandburg.

I asked the professors who teach the meaning of life to tell me what is happiness.
And I went to famous executives who boss the work of thousands of men.
They all shook their heads and gave me a smile as though I was trying to fool with them
And then one Sunday afternoon I wandered out along the Desplaines river
And I saw a crowd of Hungarians under the trees with their women and children and a keg of beer and an accordion


The End.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home