a thousand miles behind

Monday, November 20, 2006

long friday

In Norway, they call "Good Friday" "Long Friday." Maybe it's just me, but I don't often associate crucifixion with a word like "Good." "Bad Friday" or "Painful Friday"... even "Freaky Friday"perhaps, but definitely not "Good." I think "Long Friday" makes more sense. But it also conjures up a hilarious image in my head of J.C. debriefing with the Big Man when it was all over - putting his feet up on the coffee table, takin' a swig of beer - saying something like "Man, it's been a long Friday."

Why, you might ask, am I writing about this? Easter is months away! Yes, but Friday the 17th was one LONG Friday. I spent approximately 11 hours in the freezing cold rain helping to set up this art exhibit. We built a house. Well, a shack. And I got an electrical shock, a free hamburger, ten frozen toes, and intense pain in every bone of my body. It sounds horrible, but it was actually quite fun. The company was good, and I also got to climb like a monkey and perch myself on top of some scaffolding in order to hoist some gigantic pictures up into the air. The photos are really beautiful.

As I sat up on that scaffolding, fearing for my life everytime the North Wind came tearing through, I realized that I wouldn't have an experience like this anywhere else on earth. Only here. Only in the Arctic.

It was a long, but great Friday. And I (re)met someone really fantastic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home